A zirconia crown is a popular type of all-ceramic crown which is born to improve the appearance of a tooth which has become stained or disfigured over the years. They are durable, easy to wear and long lasting.
- PFM lacks esthetic look due to its opaque metal layer. A Zirconia Crown can be a best option when one is looking for an aesthetic appearing tooth crown.
- Zirconia crown have transparancy as the natural tooth but PFM lacks this feature.
There are three advantages which are:
- Strength: zirconia crowns last longer than other types of crowns.
- Aesthetics: these crowns have an attractive translucent colour which blends in well with the other teeth.
- Retain more of the existing tooth: minimal preparation is required which means more of the original tooth is preserved. This is useful if the crown needs to be removed.